Capsule Summer 2019

Page 1

Capsule

Summer 2019

University of Maryland School of Pharmacy Magazine for Alumni and Friends

MARYLAND

EXCELLING The University of Maryland School of Pharmacy’s Continued Expertise, Influence, and Impact

DEAN’S MESSAGE This issue of Capsule is a favorite of mine. Not only because it highlights the outstanding work of our faculty, staff, and students across our mission areas of education, practice, research, Pharmapreneurship™, and community engagement, but because it does so through the unique presentation of facts and figures in a beautifully designed foldout located in the center of the magazine. The Maryland Excelling feature in this issue is an inventory of the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy’s accomplishments during the last several years — all of which can be attributed to the collective hard work of our community. It also includes a glimpse into some of our future plans, including the development of new academic programs and investment in our pharmapreneurship initiative. In the coming year, we will working on two critical projects — our self-study for re-accreditation of the Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) program (required every eight years) and a new strategic plan to lay out several important goals for the next five years. Self-study is a deeply introspective and systematic review of our PharmD program and other aspects of the School to ensure that we are complying with standards as well as striving for continuous quality improvement. Strategic planning identifies specific priorities in our mission areas of education, research, practice, pharmapreneurship, and community engagement. I will be inviting all internal and external stakeholders to engage in dialogue and feedback for both processes throughout the coming academic year, and I urge you to become involved. In the spirit of expertise, influence, and impact,

Natalie D. Eddington, PhD ’89, FAAPS, FCP Dean and Professor Executive Director, University Regional Partnerships

MISSION The University of Maryland School of Pharmacy leads pharmacy education, scientific discovery, patient care, and community engagement in the state of Maryland and beyond. VISION We will achieve our mission by: • inspiring excellence in our students through a contemporary curriculum, innovative educational experiences, and strategic professional relationships. • advancing scientific knowledge across the spectrum of drug discovery, health services, and practice based and translational research with significant focus on collaborative partnerships. • expanding the impact of the pharmacist’s role on direct patient care and health outcomes. • building and nurturing relationships with all members of our community. • capitalizing on our entrepreneurial spirit to improve pharmaceutical research, practice, and education in Maryland and throughout the world. PLEDGE We are proud to be critical thinkers, lifelong learners, and leaders who are sought for our expertise. We earn our reputation with the highest standards of personal ethics and professional conduct. Students and education are central to everything we do. We engage the community; together, we contribute to the improved health of society. We celebrate the distinctive talents of our faculty, staff, and students. We honor our traditions and advocate for dynamic changes in pharmacy practice, education, and research. We create the future of pharmacy.

Capsule Contents University of Maryland School of Pharmacy Alumni Magazine

Summer 2019 Becky Ceraul, Capsule Editor Assistant Dean, Communications and Marketing School of Pharmacy Chris Zang, Director, Editorial Services

2

SCHOOL NEWS

11 MARYLAND EXCELLING 19

STAFF PROFILE

20

FACULTY PROFILE

Special thanks to the following contributors:

22

STUDENT NEWS

Ken Boyden, JD, EdD Associate Dean Development and Alumni Affairs

26 PRECEPTOR PROFILE

Malissa Carroll Web Content Specialist

27 POSTDOCTORAL PROFILE

Greer Griffith Director Annual Giving and Alumni Affairs

29 DONORS PROFILE

Erin Merino Senior Marketing Specialist

30 ALUMNI PROFILE

Julie Bower, Assistant Director, Design Services University of Maryland, Baltimore Office of Communications and Public Affairs

Amanda Wolfe Digital Media Specialist

31 ALUMNI NEWS

School of Pharmacy Student Government Association

We welcome your comments, news, and suggestions for articles. Send your ideas to Becky Ceraul at the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy, 20 N. Pine St., Room N302, Baltimore, MD 21201. Email: rceraul@rx.umaryland.edu; Telephone: 410-706-1690; Fax: 410-706-4012. Copyright © 2019 University of Maryland School of Pharmacy

www.pharmacy.umaryland.edu

Read More, See More, Share More! Read in-depth biographies of faculty, see additional pictures of School events, and share School news with your friends on social media. More details on the articles covered in this issue of Capsule are available in an electronic version — online. You can view Capsule from any mobile device. Visit www.pharmacy.umaryland. edu/capsule and start learning more about the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy.

SCHOOL NEWS

Faculty Member Awarded $2.2 Million Grant to Study Bulk Drug Substances for Compounding Ashlee Mattingly, PharmD, BCPS, assistant professor in the Department of Pharmacy Practice and Science (PPS) at the School of Pharmacy, has been awarded a three-year, $2.2 million grant from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to investigate the use in clinical practice of drugs, including certain bulk drug substances (active ingredients) that have been nominated Ashlee Mattingly for use in compounding by outsourcing facilities. The research will assist the FDA in its efforts to develop a list of bulk drug substances that outsourcing facilities can use in compounding under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. “Compounded drugs serve an important role for patients whose medication needs cannot be met by an FDA-approved drug product, such as patients who have an allergy and need a medication to be made without a certain dye,” says Mattingly. “Our research will examine how drugs compounded with certain bulk drug substances have been used historically, as well as how they are currently used in clinical practice, which will help the FDA determine whether these substances should be included on its list of bulk drug substances that outsourcing facilities can use in compounding.” In 2012, contaminated injectable drugs that a state-licensed compounding pharmacy shipped across the country caused an outbreak of fungal meningitis that led to more than 60 deaths and 750 cases of infection across the United States. In response to this outbreak, Congress enacted the Drug Quality and Security Act, which amended the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to strengthen the FDA’s authority to regulate and monitor compounded drugs. The legislation, among other things, established a new category of compounders known as outsourcing facilities, which are registered with the FDA and operate under the direct supervision of a licensed pharmacist. These facilities can only compound using bulk drug substances if the substance is used to compound a drug on the FDA’s drug shortage list, or appears on a list that will be developed by the FDA of bulk drug substances for which there is a clinical need. Stephen Hoag, PhD, professor in the Department of

2

ca p su l e

www.pharmacy.umaryland.edu

Pharmaceutical Sciences (PSC) and director of the Applied Pharmaceutics Lab at the School of Pharmacy, who joins Mattingly as a collaborator on this project, explains, “It’s a difficult balancing act with which the FDA has been tasked. The FDA wants to make compounded medications available for the patients who need them, but it must also take certain precautions to help ensure that the medications are compounded properly, and not otherwise harmful to patients. We will help the FDA collect information that it will use to make informed decisions about which substances should be used in compounding.” Another colleague who will partner with Mattingly and Hoag on the project is James Polli, PhD, the Shangraw/Noxell Endowed Chair in Industrial Pharmacy and Pharmaceutics at the School and co-principal investigator of the University of Maryland Center of Excellence in Regulatory Science and Innovation (M-CERSI). This M-CERSI grant is part of an ongoing partnership between the University of Maryland, Baltimore; the University of Maryland, College Park; and the FDA that focuses on modernizing and improving the ways drugs and medical devices are evaluated. The project will include an in-depth review of clinical practice guidelines, published literature, and other relevant sources regarding the clinical use of drugs containing certain bulk drug substances. Mattingly and her team also will conduct outreach to medical specialty groups, medical experts, and specialists in the relevant fields to gain a better understanding of the medical conditions these substances are used to treat, how long these substances have been in use in the clinical setting, the patient populations in which the substances have been used, the extent of their use, and whether the substances are used to compound drugs that health care providers store in their offices before use, as was the case for the contaminated steroid injections linked to the fungal meningitis outbreak in 2012. From 2014 to 2015, the FDA sought nominations from relevant medical experts and existing outsourcing facilities for bulk drug substances to include on its list. More than 200 substances have been nominated to date. Mattingly and her team, while leveraging their individual expertise in pharmacy practice and pharmaceutical sciences as well as their extensive outreach to medical experts, will work together to understand use in clinical practice of more than 200 substances. Once the research is complete, the team will prepare a report summarizing its findings, which the FDA will use to help inform its decisions regarding each substance. 

SOP Launches Nation’s First Master’s in Medical Cannabis Science and Therapeutics

The School of Pharmacy has launched a Master of Science (MS) in Medical Cannabis Science and Therapeutics to provide students with the knowledge and skills needed to support patients and the medical cannabis industry, add to existing research in the field, and develop well-informed medical cannabis policy. Based at the Universities at Shady Grove (USG) in Rockville, Md., the two-year program blends online learning with face-to-face experiences, and is designed for any individual who has completed his or her undergraduate degree and is interested in pursuing a career in the medical cannabis industry. The MS in Medical Cannabis Science and Therapeutics is the first graduate program in the country dedicated to the study of medical cannabis. It aims to meet the needs of all individuals interested in advancing their knowledge about medical cannabis, including health care professionals such as physicians, nurses, and pharmacists; scientists and regulators; growers and dispensary owners; and policy and industry professionals. “Medical cannabis has been legalized in 33 states, including Maryland, as well as in Washington, D.C., Guam, and Puerto Rico,” says Natalie D. Eddington, PhD ’89, FAAPS, FCP, dean and professor of the School of Pharmacy. “This number is only expected to increase in the future, fueling a demand for an educated workforce that is welltrained in both the science and therapeutic effects associated with this medicinal plant. Our MS in Medical Cannabis Science and Therapeutics has been critically designed to prepare students to meet this demand. Innovations in instructional design throughout the curriculum will provide students with the knowledge and skills needed to make a positive impact on communities across the United States.” The School of Pharmacy program addresses the areas of basic science, clinical use, adverse effects and public health, and federal and state laws and policies surrounding medical cannabis. Online coursework is designed to accommodate students with or without a background in science or medicine, as well as offer flexibility when completing assignments. In-person symposia held once each semester at USG provide students with opportunities to network

with peers, as well as meet and interact with experts in the science, therapeutics, and policy of medical cannabis. “The MS in Medical Cannabis Science and Therapeutics is an incredibly unique program,” says Leah Sera, PharmD, MA, BCPS, assistant professor in the Department of Pharmacy Practice and Science, director of the MS in Medical Cannabis Science and Therapeutics program, and a clinical pharmacist who practices in the field of palliative care. “Faculty from the School of Pharmacy who lead courses for the program are experts in both basic and clinical sciences related to the study of medications, and are dedicated to making coursework both interesting and accessible to all students.” She adds, “There is truly no other educational program that offers the in-depth instruction on the science, policy, and therapeutics of medical cannabis that students who are accepted into our program will receive.” To better meet the needs of working professionals, the MS in Medical Cannabis Science and Therapeutics does not require the completion of a thesis. Instead, students complete a capstone course that features a selection of expert seminars, case studies, and discussions. Graduates of the program will be able to help identify patients appropriate for medical cannabis therapy and determine appropriate dosing and administration for those patients; ensure the safe and effective design, development, and manufacture of medical cannabis products; identify potential research opportunities related to the science and health effects of the cannabinoids found in medical cannabis; and participate in health policy decision-making processes related to medical cannabis. “Students who complete our program will have an unparalleled competitive advantage when it comes to pursuing or advancing a career in the medical cannabis industry,” says Sera. “These individuals will be well-prepared to support patients and the medical cannabis industry with the knowledge and skills gained from their coursework. They will also be able to add to existing clinical and scientific research as well as contribute to well-informed policies related to medical cannabis.”  SUMME R 2 0 1 9

3

SCHOOL NEWS

School Joins Community Initiative to Advance Health Care in West Baltimore The School of Pharmacy has partnered with other health profession schools across the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB), as well as the University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC) and the Baltimore City Fire Department, to launch Mobile Integrated Healthcare – Community Paramedicine (MIH-CP). Through this innovative, community-based program, pharmacists working in the School’s e-Health Center will provide comprehensive medication reviews to patients using state-ofthe-art telehealth technologies. “The School of Pharmacy is incredibly excited to have this opportunity to partner with our colleagues across UMB, UMMC, and the Baltimore City Fire Department to help improve care and health outcomes for patients living in our West Baltimore communities,” says Magaly Rodriguez de Bittner, PharmD ’83, BCPS, CDE, FAPhA, FNAP, professor in the Department of Pharmacy Practice and Science (PPS) and associate dean for clinical services and practice transformation at the School. “We are thrilled to be part of a project dedicated to providing comprehensive, multidisciplinary patient-centered care that will help address existing gaps in health care delivery, reduce the overuse of emergency medical services and hospital readmissions, and – ultimately – enrich the health of Baltimore residents.” MIH-CP is a two-year pilot program that will serve Baltimore City residents living in ZIP codes 21216, 21217, 21223, 21229, 21201, and 21230. This innovative, community-based program is available at no cost to patients and employs a comprehensive, multidisciplinary care model that allows patients to receive care outside of the hospital setting through two initiatives: Minor Definitive Care Now and Transitional Health Support. Minor Definitive Care Now focuses on pre-hospital health care delivery, providing 911 callers with non-urgent medical needs the option to receive immediate, on-scene care from a nurse practitioner and community paramedic. Transitional Health Support works to improve the transition of care from the hospital to the home, specifically targeting patients with chronic diseases who require frequent hospitalization. Pharmacists from the School of Pharmacy’s e-Health Center are part of an interdisciplinary operations center established through the program’s Transitional Health Support initiative. They work alongside social workers, community health workers, nurses, and emergency medical technicians to help address the barriers that patients often encounter in their bid to achieve improved health. “This project is one of only a few of its kind currently being tested across the United States,” says Rodriguez de Bittner, who also serves as executive director of the School’s Center for Innovative Pharmacy Solutions, which houses the e-Health 4

ca p su l e

www.pharmacy.umaryland.edu

Center. “The multidisciplinary team assigned to each patient in the Transitional Health Support initiative works diligently to not only address his or her health care needs, but also to examine the social and economic factors that might affect the patients’ access to quality health care and, as a result, his or her ability to achieve optimal health outcomes.” Patients participating in the MIH-CP Transitional Health Support initiative are linked with a health care team that includes a paramedic, registered nurse, pharmacist, and nurse practitioner or physician. This team provides follow-up care for the patient and assists with chronic disease management for 30 days, visiting the patient in his or her home to assess steps that can be taken to make the home environment safer. Using special videoconferencing software that is available through the School’s e-Health Center and compliant with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act regulations, the pharmacist in the telehealth center is able to remotely take part in the home visit and conduct a comprehensive review that examines all of the medications the patient is taking to help identify potential drug interactions, adverse events, and other medication-related problems. Based on the results of that assessment, the pharmacist then works with the primary care provider, health care team, and the patient or caregiver to improve medication use and reduce unnecessary health care costs. Eighty-eight patients enrolled in the Transitional Health Support initiative from September to November 2018. It is estimated that this initiative will save the Baltimore City Fire Department approximately $300,000 per year, and decrease avoidable hospitalization costs for UMMC by nearly $3.5 million per year. “If we can demonstrate that MIH-CP is successful not only in improving health outcomes, but also in reducing health care costs, the impact on pharmacy and other health care professions will be significant,” says Rodriguez de Bittner. 

School Mourns Passing of Two Alumni and Former Faculty Members The School of Pharmacy lost two dear alumni and former faculty members this spring with the passing of Alfred “Fred” Abramson, BSP ’56, and Kenneth S. Bauer, BSP ’89, PharmD, PhD.

Fred Abramson Abramson, alumnus and former faculty member, passed away on March 2. A dedicated teacher and experienced community pharmacist, Abramson taught more than 4,000 student pharmacists in his 30-year career as an assistant professor at the School. “We are eternally grateful for Fred’s service and dedication not only to the School of Pharmacy community, but also to the pharmacy profession itself,” says Natalie D. Eddington, PhD ’89, FAAPS, FCP, dean and professor at the School. “His memory will live on not only through his renowned ‘Rules for Success,’ but through his family and friends, and the thousands of students, alumni, faculty, and staff who had the honor of knowing him. Each person Fred interacted with was special to him, and he was special to all of us.” Abramson began his academic career in 1982, joining the faculty after a successful career as an independent community pharmacist in Baltimore. As an assistant professor in the Department of Pharmacy Practice and Science, Abramson made significant contributions to the School, even raising funds to establish and equip the School’s original pharmacy practice lab. Affectionately known as “Fred Lab,” the lab opened in 2001. Abramson helped spearhead the redesign of the new Fred Lab during the construction of Pharmacy Hall Addition in 2010. In addition to teaching, Abramson was involved in several pharmacy professional associations, including the Maryland Pharmacists Association (MPhA), the National Community Pharmacists Association (NCPA), the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy, and the Maryland Alumni Association. He served as class advisor for the School’s student chapters of NCPA and Phi Lambda Sigma (PLS), and was presented with a number of awards, including PLS National Advisor of the Year, and the MPhA Seidman Distinguished Achievement Award. Although Abramson officially retired from the School in 2013, he remained a steadfast fixture in Pharmacy Hall until his passing. “Fred stayed connected with the School,” says Eddington. “It was a happy day when we would see Fred in Pharmacy Hall, whether he was here for a meeting, an alumni or donor event, or simply to check in on us.”

Ken Bauer Bauer, alumnus and former faculty member, passed away on April 18, following a traffic accident in Florida. A well-respected teacher and esteemed researcher, Bauer taught and mentored numerous students during his 14-year career at the School. “Dr. Bauer was a wonderful colleague who brought a sense of humor and kindness to the School of Pharmacy’s pharmacokinetics lab, along with a great understanding of the subject and a talent to teach it at every level,” says Natalie D. Eddington, PhD ’89, FAAPS, FCP, dean and professor at the School. “He was caring and sensitive to a fault, and funny and serious at the same time. It’s hard to believe he is not with us anymore.” Bauer joined the faculty in 2000 as an assistant professor in the Department of Pharmacy Practice and Science. He was promoted to associate professor in 2006. As director of the School’s former Clinical Pharmacology Unit, Bauer’s research expertise included pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic modeling, and clinical pharmacology research, including adhering to regulatory guidelines and preparation of reports to support Investigational New Drug and New Drug Application submissions. His primary research interest was in the general field of clinical pharmacology, with a focus on anti-cancer agents. He collaborated with the University of Maryland Greenebaum Comprehensive Cancer Center, and played an integral role in many landmark studies. He was also a principal investigator and co-investigator for several research grants from the National Institutes of Health, the pharmaceutical industry, and private foundations. Throughout his 14 years at the School of Pharmacy, Bauer taught classes in both the PharmD and PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences curriculums, including physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, therapeutics, clinical pharmacokinetics, pharmacy practice, and pharmacy practice laboratory. He served on many doctoral advisory committees and was faculty advisor for the School’s chapter of Phi Delta Chi. Bauer joined the faculty at the LECOM School of Pharmacy in Bradenton, Fla., in 2014, where he was a professor of pharmacy practice and pharmaceutical sciences and director of curriculum. 

SUMME R 2 0 1 9

5

SCHOOL NEWS

Faculty Members Honored The fall and spring semesters of the 2018-2019 academic year brought numerous well-deserved accolades to School of Pharmacy faculty. Cynthia Boyle, PharmD ’96, FAPhA, professor, Department of Pharmacy Practice and Science (PPS), received the Jacob W. Miller Award from the American Pharmacists Association (APhA) Foundation. The award is presented annually to an individual who has helped to advance the mission of the APhA Foundation through involvement in its programs, support of its initiatives, and leadership in executing its mission. Nicole Brandt, PharmD ’97, MBA, BCPP, CGP, FASCP, professor in PPS and executive director of the Peter Lamy Center on Drug Therapy and Aging, received the American Geriatrics Society’s Dennis W. Johnson Memorial Award in recognition of her distinguished career in geriatrics education.

Joga Gobburu, PhD, MBA, professor in PPS and director of the Center for Translational Medicine, received the American Society for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics Sheiner-Beal Pharmacometrics Award for outstanding achievements at the forefront of research or leadership in pharmacometrics and the application of pharmacometric concepts and techniques to enhance research, development, regulatory evaluation, or utilization of therapeutic products. Lisa Jones, PhD, assistant professor, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, received the Biophysical Society’s 2019 Junior Faculty Award, which aims to boost the visibility of a beginning faculty member whose research and recent achievements focus on cutting-edge investigations of biomolecular processes in living organisms.

6

c a psu l e

www.pharmacy.umaryland.edu

Joey Mattingly, PharmD, MBA, PhD, assistant professor in PPS, received the 2019 Albert B. Prescott Pharmacy Leadership Award from the Pharmacy Leadership & Education Institute and the Phi Lambda Sigma Pharmacy Leadership Society. The award recognizes a young pharmacist no more than 10 years into his or her career who has demonstrated the exemplary leadership qualities indicative of someone likely to emerge as a major leader in the pharmacy profession. Mary Lynn McPherson, PharmD ’86, MA, MDE, BCPS, CPE, professor in PPS, received the 2019 University System of Maryland (USM) Board of Regents Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching. The USM Board of Regents Awards represent the highest honor presented to faculty members in recognition of exemplary performance in the fields of teaching; scholarship, research, or creative activity; public service; mentoring; and innovation. Magaly Rodriguez de Bittner, PharmD ’83, BCPS, CDE, FAPhA, professor in PPS, and associate dean for clinical services and practice transformation, received the National Academies of Practice’s Creativity in Practice and Education Award, which is presented each year to a health care professional who has dedicated his or her career to developing and fostering interdisciplinary team programs, projects, and models that focus on the improvement of health care. 

School Launches Master of Science in Pharmaceutical Sciences The School of Pharmacy has launched a Master of Science (MS) in Pharmaceutical Sciences (PSC) to provide students with the advanced education and cutting-edge training needed to obtain high-level research and leadership positions in pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, as well as in the federal government. The 16-month, full-time program is based at the Universities at Shady Grove in Rockville, Md., and integrates basic and applied pharmaceutical sciences with hands-on laboratory research experience. “The School of Pharmacy is incredibly excited to offer the new MS in PSC,” says Sarah Michel, PhD, professor in PSC and director of the PSC Graduate Program. “We believe this degree fills a critical gap that many students encounter after completing a bachelor’s degree. While students might know that they want to pursue a career in research, they are not sure if a career in an industry, government, or academic setting is the best fit for them. Our program allows students to ‘test the waters,’ and equips them with the knowledge and skills necessary to pursue careers in the biopharmaceutical industry or federal government labs, or to take the next step in their education by completing a doctoral degree.” The MS in PSC is a full-time academic program designed for students who are interested in pursuing careers in scientific research. It builds on the School of Pharmacy’s more than 175-year reputation of advancing scientific knowledge across the spectrum of drug discovery and development, allowing students the opportunity to learn from faculty and other researchers who are widely recognized for their contributions to the field of pharmaceutical sciences, as well as pursue research in the areas of chemical and biological discovery,

translational therapeutics, and pharmacometrics. A hallmark of the MS in PSC is the completion of a biopharmaceutical research internship – an experience facilitated by the program’s prime location at the Universities at Shady Grove, which is just a short drive from several premier pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, research laboratories, and federal agencies. “The completion of a biopharmaceutical research internship truly sets apart the School of Pharmacy’s MS in PSC from other programs across the country,” says Michel. “Students are able to take the lead in designing and developing a unique research project, which they complete during their internship with a local pharmaceutical company, government agency, or faculty member at the School. This internship not only provides students with hands-on experience in a real laboratory setting, but also helps them better understand what to expect if they choose to pursue a career in that particular setting.” She adds: “This experience also helps students begin to build their professional network by introducing them to potential future employers.” The MS in PSC does not require the completion of a thesis. Instead, students complete and present a capstone project based on the research conducted during their biopharmaceutical research internship. “The MS in PSC is a holistic program that provides students with the tools to both design a research project and disseminate the results of that project,” says Michel. “We want to ensure that our graduates have all of the skills they will need to be successful pharmaceutical scientists.” 

Michel Appointed to New Associate Dean Position Sarah Michel, PhD, professor in the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences (PSC) and director of the PhD and MS in PSC programs, has been appointed to the newly created position of associate dean for graduate programs. “Growing our graduate educational programs both domestically and abroad are major School initiatives,” says Natalie D. Eddington, PhD ’89, FAAPS, FCP, professor and dean. “In this new role, Dr. Michel will be responsible for identifying and responding to workforce needs, working with faculty to develop new programs and obtain necessary approvals, and expanding the School’s programs into global markets.” Michel has been a faculty member at the School for 15 years and has a distinguished record of research, service, and teaching. As director of both the PhD and MS in PSC programs since 2013, she is credited with fostering tremendous growth in the caliber and number of students entering the programs. In addition, she also serves as co-director of the School’s Metallotherapeutics

Research Center, an interdisciplinary center established to identify new metalloprotein drug targets, develop new metal therapeutics, and improve current metal-based medications. Michel also has served as president of the University of Maryland, Baltimore’s Faculty Senate. Her research program is focused on the roles of metal ions — both beneficial and toxic — in biology and human health. Her portfolio is funded by the National Science Foundation and the Food and Drug Administration and includes biochemical studies on the role of zinc in inflammation, clinical trials of iron nanoparticle drugs for the treatment of iron deficiency anemia, and analytical and cellular studies to assess toxicity of electronic cigarettes. “Dr. Michel’s proven leadership abilities will strengthen our graduate education programs and heighten their reputation and impact,” Eddington says. 

SUMME R 2 0 1 9

7

SCHOOL NEWS

Pumas-AI Launches Software to Advance Drug Development, Patient Care

From left, Joga Gobburu, Christopher Rackauckas, and Vijay Ivaturi.

Pumas-AI – a new company established by School of Pharmacy faculty members Vijay Ivaturi, PhD, assistant professor in the Department of Pharmacy Practice and Science (PPS), and Joga Gobburu, PhD, MBA, FCP, professor in PPS – in July released its first cutting-edge software platform for pharmaceutical researchers and clinicians. Known as Pharmaceutical Modeling and Simulation (Pumas), the software was developed through a partnership with experts at Julia Computing. Research and software development efforts were led by Christopher Rackauckas, PhD, senior research analyst in PPS, with input from independent contributor Joakim Nyberg, PhD, from Uppsala, Sweden. “The success rate for pharmaceutical innovations is approximately 2 percent,” says Gobburu, who also serves as executive director of the School’s Center for Translational Medicine (CTM). “Pumas software is tailored to revolutionize big data analytics in health care, unlike those tools used in other fields. By combining the extensive health care knowledge of our faculty and staff with the scientific computing experts at Julia Computing, we have developed a tool that will not only benefit business leaders working in the pharmaceutical industry, but also those who are caring for patients on the front line of health care delivery.” Pumas is the first software platform released by PumasAI, whose goal is to double pharmaceutical and patient care success rates by democratizing tools and education in the health care data analytics space. The Pumas software platform provides a wide range of analytic capabilities for pharmaceutical and biotechnology development, as well as therapeutic decisionmaking — addressing a crucial need for pharmaceutical companies and investors, who often base their decisions on a combination of technical, regulatory, and commercial success probabilities, all of which the Pumas software can provide quantitatively.

8

c a psu l e

www.pharmacy.umaryland.edu

“Pumas is our company’s first product specifically designed for professionals in the pharmaceutical and health delivery sectors to bridge this gap,” adds Gobburu. “It leverages the Julia programming language, and combines modern artificial intelligence [AI] with traditional mechanistic models, allowing the CTM to foster one of its goals of enhancing real-world data analytics through its newly formed Health Analytics Collective.” A comprehensive platform based on the Julia programming language, Pumas contains multiple modules designed to meet the needs of analysts in the pharmaceutical industry, while also working to advance therapeutic innovation in the clinic setting. Julia was selected for its speed and succinctness as a programming language, which produces an interface that looks similar to R, but operates at the speed of FORTRAN. Because Pumas is created entirely in Julia, users can make direct use of the language’s database, statistics, and visualization functionality — all without losing performance. In addition, Julia is the programming language of choice for prominent researchers at institutions such as the Massachusetts Institute of Technology who work on projects at the cuttingedge of machine learning, as well as in differential equations research, which means that, unlike many other tools, Pumas has the unique ability to directly incorporate modern techniques to achieve maximal efficiency and accuracy. “Pumas is the first pharmaceutical modeling suite that is designed from the ground up to use modern graphics processing unit hardware, parallelized stiff differential equation solvers, and allow for the integration of machine learning with pharmacometrics,” says Rackauckas. “We are excited to not only accelerate current workflows, but also help users explore the new, realistic models that are enabled by this technology.” Pumas was the topic of a workshop at JuliaCon 2019, the year’s biggest Julia conference for developers, enthusiasts, and others, held at the University of Maryland, Baltimore in July. “At the CTM, we strive to develop point-of-care solutions for providers and clinicians that can help individualize treatment for patients,” says Ivaturi, who also serves as a pharmacometrician in the CTM at the School. “The Pumas software platform will be instrumental in helping us optimize treatments for a number of conditions and therapeutics.” He adds, “It is going to revolutionize therapeutic decisionmaking and allow health care organizations to benefit from payor incentives by demonstrating substantial improvements to successful patient care.” 

Make an Impact Today and Tomorrow with a Charitable Gift Annuity One of the most creative ways to support the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy is with a charitable gift annuity through the University of Maryland Baltimore (UMB) Foundation, Inc., providing future funding for the School of Pharmacy and immediate benefits for you or your loved ones.

HOW IT WORKS: In exchange for your gift of cash or appreciated securities of $25,000 or more, the UMB Foundation will make fixed annuity payments for life. Gift annuity rates are currently very attractive compared to other commercial fixed-income options. When the annuity ends, the balance supports your designated University of Maryland School of Pharmacy priority.

Benefits of a charitable gift annuity include: • Attractive fixed-income payments for life, backed by the UMB Foundation • A current income tax deduction and partially tax-free income over your life expectancy (in most cases) • Portfolio diversification • Deferred support to the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy • Your gift qualifies you for membership in the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy Legacy Society

Single-Life Rate Chart for $25,000 UMB Foundation Charitable Annuity (two-life rates also available) Annuitant Age at Gift

70

75

80

85

Annuity Rate

5.1%

5.8%

6.8%

7.8%

Annual Payment

$1,275

$1,450

$1,700

$1,950

Charitable Deduction

$9,752

$11,065

$12,270

$13,955

PLEASE NOTE: Charitable gift annuities are provided through the University of Maryland Baltimore Foundation, Inc. Payments under such agreements are not protected or otherwise guaranteed by any government agency. Annuities are subject to regulation by the states of California, Hawaii, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Washington, and others. The above examples are for educational purposes only and do not constitute an offer to issue annuities where precluded by state law. Donors should always consult with their tax advisors before making a planned gift. Rates are set at the time of the gift and may vary from those illustrated.

Want your gift to provide support for a loved one or a friend? Contact us to learn how.

Consider a UMB Foundation annuity to support the School of Pharmacy today! For more information, including a customized illustration, contact: Ken Boyden, JD, EdD Associate Dean Office of Development and Alumni Affairs University of Maryland School of Pharmacy 20 N. Pine St., S740 Baltimore, MD 21201 Office 410-706-5893 | Fax 410-706-6049 kboyden@rx.umaryland.edu SUMME R 2 0 1 9

9

Laurels The Maryland Poison Center (MPC), in collaboration with the School of Pharmacy’s Office of Communications and Marketing, received a Best in Maryland Award at the Public Relations Society of America-Maryland Chapter’s annual awards dinner in December. The award was for the creation and implementation of a social media campaign to raise awareness of the services provided by the MPC.

Jenna Goldberg was named UMB’s April Employee of the Month.

Nicole Brandt, PharmD ’97, MBA, BCPP, CGP, FASCP, has been appointed to the Health Resources and Services Administration’s Advisory Committee on Interdisciplinary, Community-Based Linkages.

Emily Heil, PharmD, BCIDP, BCPS-AQ ID, AAHIVP, has been appointed as the pharmacy representative to the Infectious Diseases Society of America’s Sepsis Task Force.

Ryan Constantino, PharmD, won third place in the International Palliative Care Network’s 2018 Poster Exhibition. Daniel Deredge, PhD, received the Best Poster Award at the 2nd International Conference on Hydrogen Deuterium Exchange Mass Spectrometry. Sandeep Devabhakthuni, PharmD, BCPS, has been named president-elect of the Maryland Society of Health-System Pharmacy (MSHP). Alison Duffy, PharmD, BCOP, received the MSHP Excellence Award. Natalie D. Eddington, PhD ’89, FAAPS, FCP, has been appointed faculty chair of the University of Maryland, Baltimore’s (UMB) Task Force on Sexual Harassment. Agnes Ann Feemster, PharmD, received the MSHP Medication Safety Award. Joga Gobburu, PhD, MBA, received the Food and Drug Administration’s Office of Clinical Pharmacology Distinguished Alumnus Award.

10

c a psu l e

www.pharmacy.umaryland.edu

Mojdeh Heavner, PharmD ’08, BCPS, BCCCP, has been accepted into the American Academy of Sleep Medicine Foundation’s Young Investigators Research Forum. She also has been appointed to a three-year term as an associate editor for the American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy.

Amy Howard, PharmD ’17, received the Ton Hoek Scholarship from the American Pharmacists Association Foundation. Cherokee Layson-Wolf, PharmD ’00, BCACP, FAPhA, received an Honorable Mention in the American Pharmacists Association’s 2019 Immunization Champions Awards in the Individual Practitioner category. Alexander MacKerell Jr., PhD, has been designated a World Class Researcher by Clarivate Analytics for his “exceptional research performance, demonstrated by production of multiple highly cited papers that rank in the top 1 percent by citations for field and year in Web of Science.” Ashlee Mattingly, PharmD, BCPS, and Kristin Watson, PharmD, BCPS-AQ Cardiology, have been named Outstanding Reviewers by the Journal of the American Pharmacists Association. Nabil Natafgi, PhD, MPH, CPH, was a finalist in AcademyHealth’s Healthiest Communities Data Challenge.

Kristine Parbuoni, PharmD ’05, has been elected to the Board of Directors of the MSHP. Kathleen Pincus, PharmD ’09, received the Richard Parrish Lecture Award from the District of Columbia College of Clinical Pharmacy. She also received the Maryland Pharmacists Association’s Excellence in Innovation Award. Marc Taraban, PhD, received a Best Poster Award at the Practical Applications of NMR (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance) in Industry Conference 2019. Deanna Tran, PharmD ’11, received the American Pharmacists AssociationAcademy of Student Pharmacists’ Outstanding Chapter Advisor Award. Ester Villalonga Olives, PhD, has been appointed to the United Nations’ international expert group on operationalizing social capital interventions in forced displacement situations. Fengtian Xue, PhD, received a U.S. patent for “Compounds for Treating Parasitic Infections.”

MARYLAND

COMPILED BY CHRISTIANNA MCCAUSLAND SUMM E R 2 0 1 9

11

The University of Maryland School of Pharmacy is the fourth-oldest school of pharmacy in the country. Since its founding in 1841, the School has been recognized as a place of innovation. The School has a highly progressive history, from graduating its first female pharmacist in 1898 to supporting the entrepreneurial efforts of its graduates, including the founders of Noxzema and Sharp & Dohme (now Merck) and a MacArthur Foundation Genius Award winner. Today, the School is building on its past and proactively looking for opportunities to transform pharmacy education, research, and practice in order to best prepare current and future pharmacy professionals to meet the needs of our ever-changing health care environment. Moving forward, the School is emphasizing the concept of Pharmapreneurship™, which the School believes in so strongly that we trademarked the term in 2018. The idea that education, practice, research, and community service can and must intersect with innovation informs all the activities at the School. This can be seen in the many new developments underway, including the design and upcoming construction of the “Pharmapreneurs’ Farm” — a hub for brainstorming, idea fermentation, and exploration — in the Ellen H. Yankellow Grand Atrium of Pharmacy Hall, and the expanding number of pharmapreneurial master’s degrees.

We invite you to see how MARYLAND IS

EXCELLING THE SCHOOL OF PHARMACY AT A GLANCE: 90 FULL-TIME FACULTY

9 ACADEMIC PROGRAMS

893 STUDENTS

13

RESEARCH AND PRACTICE CENTERS AND PROGRAMS

115 AFFILIATE FACULTY

698 PRECEPTOR FACULTY

40,000

PATIENTS SEEN ANNUALLY AT 37 PRACTICE SITES

$30 MILLION

IN TOTAL RESEARCH GRANTS AND CONTRACTS

6,000+

PHARMD, PHD, AND MS ALUMNI

PHARMAPRENEURSHIP™ When we use the term Pharmapreneurship™, we’re talking about innovation and how innovative activities within the School can address some of the big issues impacting public health, research, and education.

PHARMAPRENEURSHIP PATHWAY

- DEAN NATALIE D. EDDINGTON, PHD ’89, FAAPS, FCP

24 patents

issued between FY2014 and FY2018

93%

54 invention disclosures filed between FY2014 and FY2018

of faculty are funded by their practice site

MILLION-DOLLAR INVESTMENTS IN PHARMAPRENEURSHIP $1 MILLION Felix A. Khin-Maung-Gyi, PharmD ’83, MBA, Memorial Scholarship Endowment in Pharmapreneurship

$1 MILLION Fully endowed Professorship in Pharmapreneurship

ENTERING THE RACE TO BRING BIOPHARMACEUTICALS TO MARKET In 2016, the School of Pharmacy joined the National Institute for Innovation in Manufacturing Biopharmaceuticals (NIIMBL) in its mission to bring safe drugs to market faster and develop workforce training. As demand for medications using living cells increases, the School is able to help the pharmaceutical industry address current biopharmaceutical manufacturing challenges, propose its own innovative ideas, and develop new methodologies.

In 2018, a School faculty member was among the first to receive a NIIMBL grant of $600,000.

$1 MILLION Establishment of the endowed Center for Women in Pharmapreneurism

Designed for a select group of qualified and motivated PharmD students, the School’s new Pharmapreneurship Pathway offers students the opportunity to pursue special interests in innovation, entrepreneurism, and creativity with a high degree of individual attention and coaching by faculty and external advisors. A priority of the pathway is to develop new research study designs, drug discovery, modern analytic methods, and business and innovative methods in the broad areas of basic pharmaceutical sciences, clinical/translational research, pharmaceutical health services research, and outcomes research, as well as to create innovative clinical patient care programs and business solutions in health care. Students in the Pharmapreneurship Pathway will conduct original projects with faculty or advisors/mentors and receive individualized counseling about courses, internships, and potential career options.

ENCOURAGING PHARMAPRENEURSHIP, SHARK TANK-STYLE

To celebrate its commitment to pharmapreneurship, the School hosted a Shark Tank-style competition in the summer of 2017. Faculty teams from the School’s three departments proposed innovative ways to address the nation’s health care, research, policy, and societal needs. Each of the three winning teams received a $50,000 investment to propel its idea from concept to reality: Pharmaceutical Health Services Research’s proposal would link the Medicare and Medicaid databases and use data related to people with disabilities to ultimately establish a multidisciplinary, patient-centered research collaborative that identifies and overcomes disparities in their care.

Pharmacy Practice and Science proposed an app — Microbe Master — for students to study antimicrobial activity and antimicrobial stewardship.

Pharmaceutical Sciences proposed the creation of a Metallotherapeutics Research Center to advance therapeutics in that field.

EDUCATION The School is expanding its master’s degree offerings, with a particular emphasis on pharmapreneurial programs to meet workforce needs for innovative education and skills training. Many of the programs are offered online as a means of meeting the “anytime, anywhere” learning needs and lifestyles of busy professional students: } MS in Medical Affairs* } MS and Graduate Certificates in Palliative Care } MS in Pharmaceutical Health Services Research

Our PharmD, PhD, and MS students are our future peers. As such, we place enormous emphasis on providing them with an outstanding foundation in the fundamentals that they will then apply to clinical care, biomedical research, and the education of future generations of pharmacists and researchers.

} MS in Pharmacometrics } MS in Pharmaceutical Sciences } MS and Graduate Certificate in Regulatory Science - ANDREW COOP, PHD Associate dean for academic affairs

*Proposed for fall 2020

} MS in Medical Cannabis Science and Therapeutics MS in Medical Cannabis Science and Therapeutics is launching in fall 2019. The two-year program is the first of its kind in the U.S. to provide students with the knowledge needed to support patients and the medical cannabis industry, add to existing research, and develop well-informed medical cannabis policy.

DUAL-DEGREE OFFERINGS: } PharmD/MBA with University of Maryland, College Park } PharmD/MBA with University of Baltimore } PharmD/JD with UMB Carey School of Law } PharmD/MPH with UMB School of Medicine } PharmD/MS (Palliative Care, Pharmacometrics, Regulatory Science) } PharmD/PhD (PHSR, PSC) } PhD/MS (PHSR)

} Doctor of Pharmacy } PhD in Pharmaceutical Health Services Research } PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences

INTERPROFESSIONAL EDUCATION & PRACTICE As part of the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB), the School of Pharmacy has unique opportunities to train students in interprofessional practice, working with our partners at the schools of dentistry, law, medicine, nursing, and social work. UMB established a Center for Interprofessional Education (IPE), co-directed by a School faculty member, that offers seed grants to interprofessional faculty teams working on projects to enhance interprofessional education initiatives on campus and at the individual schools.

} Campuswide IPE activities incorporated into the PharmD program’s required Abilities Labs and IPPEs

} SOP faculty received a total of 10 IPE seed grants and 13 IPE faculty development grants

} Ten inter professional faculty clinics addressing population health were developed

} Received more than $2 million in contracts for IPE services

RESEARCH As we promote research activities within the School, across campus, and with other institutions, the goal is to focus on alternative methods to expand our research enterprise by promoting pharmapreneurship, forming consortiums with academia, industry, and government agencies, and by establishing global educational cooperative centers such that we can enrich the School’s research programs. - PETER SWAAN, PHD Associate dean for research and advanced graduate studies

FUNDED FACULTY

2012

2015

2017

21* $5,525,143

24* $8,593,514

39* $10,971,105

in total funding

in total funding

in total funding

* Includes principal investigators and co-investigators receiving subcontracts

GRANTS AND CONTRACTS FUNDING Department Pharmaceutical Health Services Research Pharmacy Practice and Science Pharmaceutical Sciences School total

2012-13 2017-18 $3,008,527 $6,399,536 $11,594,141 $15,059,210 $5,695,979 $6,424,271 $20,298,647 $27,883,017

$500,000 Grant amount awarded to researchers from the Department of Pharmaceutical Health Services Research in January 2018 to establish the Patient-Driven Values in Healthcare Evaluation (PAVE) Center of Excellence, funded by the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) Foundation. It is one of only two funded by the PhRMA Foundation to lead the development of transformative strategies to better assess the value of medicines and health care services while improving patient outcomes and reducing inefficiency in health care.

TOTAL GRANTS & CONTRACTS FUNDING FOR FISCAL YEAR 2019 IS ANTICIPATED TO SURPASS

$30 MILLION.

M-CERSI In 2018, the University of Maryland Center for Excellence in Regulatory Science and Innovation (M-CERSI) renewed its funding under its cooperative agreement with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The $5 million per year over five years allows M-CERSI to advance its mission to promote the development of new tools, standards, and approaches to assess the safety, efficacy, quality, and performance of FDA-regulated products.

Fast Facts about M-CERSI, a School of Pharmacy partnership with the University of Maryland, College Park: } One of only four FDA-funded CERSIs in the U.S. } The only CERSI to receive continuous funding from the FDA since it launched in 2011 } Sponsor of more than 40 conferences and workshops } In 2018, obtained a three-year, $2.2 million grant from the FDA to investigate bulk drug substances for compounding } Launchpad for the sought-after MS in Regulatory Science degree

PENICILLIN STUDY

96%

The percentage of patients who believed they were allergic to penicillin who were not according to a study led by researchers in the Department of Pharmacy Practice and Science. The results of this study were achieved using a straightforward skin test. The outcome is that those who previously thought they were allergic can now receive more optimal antibiotic care and without the need to visit an allergist.

LINKING ANTIDEPRESSANT USE WITH TYPE II DIABETES

GENES AND STROKE RISK

A joint study between the School’s Department of Pharmaceutical Health Services Research and the University of Maryland Medical System found that prolonged use of serotonin reuptake inhibitors in young people made them TWO-THIRDS MORE LIKELY to develop Type II diabetes. The study can help inform decisions of favorable risk-balance for patients.

PRACTICE

40-60%

Percentage of people who inherit the risk of a large artery stroke. Researchers from the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences collaborated on a multinational study that found a single gene variant is linked to the risk of these deadly strokes.

As a leader in pharmacy practice, the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy improves the health of people through innovation, collaboration, and advocacy. Innovative programs developed at the School have taken root and grown throughout the state because they work. These programs support and empower patients while improving clinical outcomes, decreasing costs, and enhancing continuity of care in the health systems in which we operate.

E-HEALTH

- MAGALY RODRIGUEZ DE BITTNER, PHARMD ’83 Associate dean for clinical services and practice transformation

CENTER FOR INNOVATIVE PHARMACY SOLUTIONS Through the School’s new e-Health Center, our clinical pharmacists leverage technology to expand their practice to reach those in need via: TECHNOLOGY: Medication management services are delivered from a remote location through HIPAA-compliant video platforms.

The e-Health Center, as part of an interdisciplinary transitions of care team, has seen a 66% decrease in visits within 30 days post-hospital discharge, leading to $530,882 in savings.

INTERPROFESSIONAL/MULTIDISCIPLINARY CARE: E-Health pharmacists work with other health care providers and disciplines such as physicians, nurses, paramedics, social workers, and life coaches to ensure an effective care plan and better patient outcome.

A cohort of diabetic patients managed by the e-Health Center’s pharmacists showed an average 1-point reduction in A1c with the percentage of patients at goal of <7 increasing from 46% to 69%.

TRAINING AND EDUCATION: Pharmacy residents, students, and fellows are trained in clinical care, administration, and use of technology to provide health care services. RESEARCH AND INFORMATION DISSEMINATION: The e-Health Center studies the economic and clinical impact of these innovative health care delivery models as compared to normal standards of care or as a solution to patient populations that otherwise would not have easy access to care, with dissemination to the health care community.

THE PETER LAMY CENTER ON DRUG THERAPY AND AGING The Lamy Center is a first-of-its-kind center dedicated to improving drug therapy for older adults, producing new scientific knowledge with practical applications for improving the outcomes of pharmaceutical care for older adults, and providing information on best practices in geriatric pharmacotherapy. It is also the School’s first cross-departmental center, with leadership from both Pharmaceutical Health Services Research and Pharmacy Practice and Science.

$200,000

Fast Facts on the Lamy Center from 2018:

$1,438,426 total research grant funding

34

peer-reviewed papers published

29

seminars supported

35

community events supported

Contract from the Maryland Department of Health to promote appropriate antimicrobial use in longterm care and nursing facilities across the state of Maryland by establishing a training program on antimicrobial stewardship and infection control

COMMUNITY

The community pharmacist has always been one of the most accessible health care providers, and the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy excels in preparing future pharmacists for that role. We also embrace community engagement in our research and services activities. Patients’ voices and concerns drive how we care for patients and improve the health of patients and communities.

- C. DANIEL MULLINS, PHD Professor and chair, Department of Pharmaceutical Health Services Research

STUDENTS IN THE COMMUNITY

RECORD-BREAKING SUPPORT FOR ONLINE GIVING DAY

The School’s students participate in events and outreach within the School and collaboratively across campus providing: } 1,200 hours annually of tutoring as part of the campuswide student group, A Bridge to Academic Excellence

$30,000:

Funds raised during the School’s first Online Giving Day in 2017, held on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram

} 150 events, 67 direct patient care interactions, and 14 immunization clinics via the American Pharmacists Association-Academy of Student Pharmacists group (APhA-ASP) TOTAL APhA-ASP efforts from 2017 equated to: } 6,800 patient interactions } 645 immunizations

$30,000

Funds raised on Giving Day 2018

$70,000+

Funds raised on Giving Day 2019

CHARM OF A MILLION HEARTS Student groups provide volunteer assistance to many community entities, including the city’s Ronald McDonald House, Hope Lodge (another location for patient families), and various elementary/middle/high schools. Charm of a Million Hearts is the Student Government Association’s largest event. In 2018, the event drew together 40 School and community organizations from around the Baltimore area to provide free health screenings, harm reduction with naloxone, health information, vaccinations, and public resources to more than 400 community members.

PATIENTS PROGRAM The School’s Patient-Centered Involvement in Evaluating the Effectiveness of Treatment (PATIENTS) Program, initially funded by a $5 million grant from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, engages people from local communities to answer questions about the best treatment options to improve health and quality of life. During the program’s first five years, it supported approximately 116 new proposals, 40 of which were funded and generated approximately $40 million in new grants and contracts — that’s an 800 percent return on investment in just five years.

Each year the program sponsors PATIENTS Day, an interactive health fair and education day. 200: The number of community members, health care providers, and researchers who participated in the 2019 PATIENTS Day

$250,000: Grant amount from Merck

to establish a new Learning Health Care Community in Baltimore to promote collaboration between patients and their health care providers and improve health equity

MAJOR FACULTY AND STAFF APPOINTMENTS AND AWARDS AcademyHealth Board of Directors American Academy of Clinical Toxicology Fellows American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine Visionary in Hospice and Palliative Medicine American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Academic Leadership Fellow Administration and Finance Special Interest Group - Chair Administrative Services Section – Chair and Secretary Chemistry Section - Chair Council of Faculties - Chair Global Pharmacy Education Special Interest Group - Chair Laboratory Special Interest Group - Secretary Master Preceptor Award New Investigator Awards Public Health Section - Chair Walmart Scholars Mentor/Mentee Award American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists Fellow American Association of Poison Control Centers Board of Directors American College of Clinical Pharmacy Cardiology Practice and Research Network’s Junior Investigator Award Critical Care Practice and Research Network’s Clinical Practice Awards HIV Practice and Research Network – Secretary/Treasurer Infectious Diseases Practice and Research Network’s Clinical Practice Award New Educator Award Pain and Palliative Care Practice and Research Network - Chair American Foundation for Pharmaceutical Education Board of Grants - Vice Chair American Geriatrics Society Dennis W. Jahnigen Memorial Award American Pharmacists Association Board of Trustees Political Action Committee Board of Governors House of Delegates – Speaker and Member Immunization Champions Awards – Honorable Mention American Pharmacists Association-Academy of Student Pharmacists Advisor of the Year American Pharmacists Association Foundation Jacob W. Miller Award Pinnacle Award for Career Achievement Ton Hoek Scholarship American Society for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics Sheiner-Beal Pharmacometrics Award American Society for Pharmacy Law Larry M. Simonsmeier Writing Award American Society of Consultant Pharmacists Archambault Award Armon Neel Senior Care Pharmacist of the Year Fellow President’s Award Association of Asthma Educators Board of Directors President-elect Association of Graduate Regulatory Educators Board of Directors Biophysical Society Junior Faculty Award Board of Pharmacy Specialties’ Council on Psychiatric Pharmacy Member Clarivate Analytics World Class Researcher Award College of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacists President Drug Development Research Associate Editor Environmental Protection Agency National Toxicity Challenge Finalist Ethnicity & Disease Associate Editor

Food and Drug Administration Advisory Committee Member Anesthetic and Analgesic Drug Products Advisory Committee Big Data for Patients Steering Committee Member Office of Clinical Pharmacology Distinguished Alumnus Award Food and Drug Law Institute Board of Directors Health & Place Outstanding Reviewer Health Resources and Services Administration Advisory Committee on Interdisciplinary, Community-Based Linkages International Journal of Multiple Research Approaches Editor International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research Distinguished Service Award Marilyn Dix Smith Leadership Award International Society for Pharmacoepidemiology Fellow International Society of Pharmacometrics Fellow Johns Hopkins University Distinguished Alumna Award Journal of the American Pharmacists Association Outstanding Reviewer Editor Maryland Board of Pharmacy Governor’s Citation Maryland Reserve Corps Best Practice Award Maryland Higher Education Commission Member Maryland Pharmacists Association Board of Trustees Bowl of Hygeia Cardinal Health Generation Rx Champions Award Excellence in Innovation Award Mentor Award President Maryland Society of Health-Systems Pharmacy Board of Directors Excellence Award Jeffrey Ensor Leadership Awards Medication Safety Award Preceptor of the Year W. Arthur Purdum Award MD Anderson Cancer Center Debra Sivesind Career Award for Outstanding Contributions to Palliative Care National Academies of Practice Creativity in Practice and Education Award Distinguished Practitioner Fellow Pharmacy Academy - Chair National Institute for Minority Health and Disparities Scholar North American Congress of Clinical Toxicology Service Award Oklahoma University College of Pharmacy Distinguished Alumni Award Pharmacoeconomics – Open Editor Pharmacotherapy Editor Outstanding Reviewer Recognition Pharmacy Leadership and Education Institute and Phi Lambda Sigma Pharmacy Leadership Society Albert B. Prescott Pharmacy Leadership Award Phi Lambda Sigma Proctor and Gamble National Leadership Award Preventing Chronic Disease: Public Health Research, Practice, and Policy Editor Professional Fraternity Association Volunteer of the Year

Public Relations Society of America-Maryland Chapter Award of Excellence Best in Maryland Award Purdue University College of Pharmacy Distinguished Alumnus Award Society of Critical Care Medicine Presidential Citations Society of Infectious Diseases Pharmacists Board Member Society of Palliative Care Pharmacists Board of Trustees St. Agnes Healthcare Board of Directors United States Pharmacopeia Expert Committee on Health Care Quality - Member Expert Panel on Allergies and Intolerances - Chair University System of Maryland Board of Regents Award for Excellence in Teaching Zeta Phi Beta Woman of the Year in Health Services

STUDENT HONORS AND ACHIEVEMENTS • Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy Chapter of the Year Award • American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Walmart Scholars • American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists Student Chapter of the Year – Honorable Mention • American Chemical Society Chemical Computing Group’s Excellence Award for Graduate Students • American College of Clinical Pharmacy Clinical Research Challenge – Finalist • American Foundation for Pharmaceutical Education Gateway Research Scholarship and Fellowships • American Pharmacists Association-Academy of Student Pharmacists (APhA-ASP) Student Leadership Award • APhA-ASP Region 2 Operation Diabetes and Operation Immunization Awards • APhA Mary Louise Andersen Scholarship and Juan Esperanza Luna Scholarship • American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology New Investigator Awards • American Society of Consultant Pharmacists Student Pharmacist of the Year Award • EPIC Pharmacies Student Grant • Express Scripts Scholarship • Food and Drug Administration ORISE Fellowship • International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research Chapter of the Year Award • JAMA Pediatrics Trainee Paper of the Year • Kappa Psi Top-Performing Chapter • Maryland Pharmacists Association Foundation Student Scholarship • Maryland Public Health Association’s Board of Directors • National Academy of Medicine’s D.C. Public Health Case Challenge Winner • National Community Pharmacists Association Good Neighbor Pharmacy Puritt-Schutte Student Business Plan Competition - Finalist • National Institutes of Health Predoctoral Fellowship • National Institutes of Health National Research Service Award • Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America Fellowships • Pharmacy Quality Alliance-CVS Health Foundation Scholarships • Phi Lambda Sigma Charles Thomas Leadership Challenge Award • Society for Medical Decision Making Lee B. Lusted Student Prize • Student Society of Health-System Pharmacists Outstanding Professional Development Project Award • United States Pharmacopeia Greg Amidon Fellowship • University of Maryland, Baltimore County Meyerhoff Fellowship

University of Maryland School of Pharmacy | pharmacy.umaryland.edu

STAFF PROFILE

‘She’s the Glue’ in Palliative Care BY LOU CORTINA

Erika Pixley

The School of Pharmacy’s Master of Science and Graduate Certificates in Palliative Care program has attracted more than 150 students and enjoyed a superior retention rate since its spring 2017 launch. The program’s director, Mary Lynn McPherson, PharmD ’86, MA, MDE, BCPS, CPE, points to one person in particular for its success — senior academic program specialist Erika Pixley, MBA. “This program is like a university within a university,” McPherson says, “and Erika is the welcoming committee and the admissions committee and the student affairs committee and the graduation committee. She’s a fabulous colleague and takes enormous pride in her work and the success of our students. She’s indispensable to this program. She’s the glue.” The online program, which is open to other disciplines at the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) such as medicine and nursing, is designed to meet the educational needs of those who already work or wish to work in hospice or palliative care environments and want to gain deeper understanding of the physical, psychological, spiritual, and social needs of patients and families involved in end-of-life care. Pixley, an employee of the School’s Department of Pharmacy Practice and Science, arrived in October 2016 to help launch the palliative care program and takes great pride in its success, with the first cohort having graduated this past summer. “I’m with the students from Day 1 through graduation,” says Pixley, who was rewarded for her efforts in December 2018 with UMB’s Employee of the Month Award. “We are 2 years old and we have over 150 students, so I think that’s pretty successful. We also have great retention, because everyone who started in the program in 2017 has completed it.” Pixley earned her bachelor’s degree in speech communications and writing from the State University of New

York at Potsdam and her MBA from Walden University. She is currently working on a master’s in distance education and e-learning from University of Maryland Global Campus. Before joining the School of Pharmacy, she held enrollment advising or admissions recruiting jobs with Laureate Education, Florida SouthWestern State College, Walden University, and ITT Technical Institute. In her current role, Pixley appreciates the creative freedom she’s given with tasks such as managing social media, producing the program’s newsletter, and assisting with marketing materials. “I’ve been given the flexibility to utilize my own resources and the freedom to try different things,” she says. “If I have an idea that will aid students or the program, I can actually go to somebody with the idea, instead of just sitting in my cubicle.” Pixley collaborates with faculty, too, of course, but says the best part of her job is being in constant contact with the students. “In previous positions I’ve held, students are handed off to other departments after their initial enrollment has ended,” she says. “Here, I like that I’m our students’ main go-to person and that they know they’re with me from beginning to end, through thick and thin. They know I have their backs, that I’ll handle all issues or changes that arise, and that they can come to me with any type of question. “Our students feel comfortable with me, and many of them have said the students in this program and the support staff feel like a family. I’m very proud of that.” And McPherson is clearly proud of Pixley. “Erika is a great asset and friend to our program and the School of Pharmacy,” McPherson says. “The program is an enormous success, and we cannot imagine that it would have been doing as well under anyone else’s care.” b

SUMM E R 2 0 1 9

19

FACULTY PROFILE

Tracking Down Toxic Metals BY RANDOLPH FILLMORE Sarah Michel

Investigating the role that metals such as iron, zinc and copper play in the human body is a career quest for Sarah Michel, PhD, an inorganic chemist who is a professor in the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences (PSC) at the School of Pharmacy (SOP). “Dr. Michel’s work has increased our understanding of how metals regulate proteins involved in chronic inflammation, cancer, and neurodegenerative diseases,” says Paul Shapiro, PhD, professor and chair of PSC. In 2008, four years after her arrival at the School, Michel received a five-year, CAREER award from the National Science Foundation (NSF) to investigate the toxic consequences of iron, rather than zinc, binding to specific proteins in the body. The NSF has continued to fund Michel’s work in this area, which has expanded to other metals, including copper, gold, and cadmium. Michel recently received a five-year U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) grant to compare a brand and generic iron nanoparticle drug used to treat severe iron deficiency anemia in patients with chronic kidney disease. In collaboration with SOP colleagues James Polli, PhD, and Maureen Kane, PhD, the Michel lab is performing a clinical trial on these drugs. The lab has developed a novel assay using mass spectrometry (patent pending) to assess iron distribution in trial volunteers. In an Army Research Laboratories study, her laboratory studied gold nanoclusters to determine if they could be potentially useful in medical imaging and sensors. In a new FDA-funded research project, the Michel lab is investigating a recent smoking cessation trend that has emerged with “electronic nicotine delivery systems,” known as ENDS or e-cigarettes. “ENDS produce a poorly characterized aerosol complex inhaled by the user,” explains Michel. “This aerosol complex is known to contain toxic metal ions, such as lead, cadmium, tin, and other potentially harmful substances, such as formaldehyde, acetone, butanol, glyoxal, and glycerol. Some of 20

c a psu l e

www.pharmacy.umaryland.edu

those substances are carcinogenic and the FDA may want to regulate ENDS due to public health concerns.” Her suspicion is that the high heat in ENDS coils might leech these metals into human tissues and cells. “We are using our recently developed bioanalytical strategies to determine whether metal ions and other potentially harmful toxins produced by ENDS are toxic to cells in the oral cavity and upper respiratory system,” says Michel, who collaborates with researchers in the medical and dental schools at the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) on this issue. Not all of her work has been lab-based. Since becoming director of the PSC Graduate Program in 2013, she has collaborated with faculty on adapting the department’s MS and PhD programs to better meet the needs of students and the job market. In July, she was named the School’s associate dean for graduate programs. “Dr. Michel has also taken the lead on expanding PSC’s MS in Pharmaceutical Sciences to the Universities at Shady Grove in Rockville, Md., in an effort to help meet the needs of the biotech companies in the I-270 corridor,” says Shapiro, with her developing collaborations with companies and government agencies. She also continues to work with undergraduate students through “Spring Into Maryland Science” (SIMSI), a partnership among UMB, Morgan State University, and Notre Dame University of Maryland. “SIMSI, initiated in 2011, is a daylong experience for undergraduate chemistry and biology majors that pairs them with graduate student mentors,” she explains. Michel also has expanded the School’s involvement with the Meyerhoff program at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County to increase the recruitment of under-represented minority students. Outside the lab, Michel is mom to Lucie, 12, who is more interested in history, ballet, and piano than chemistry. And she finds time to do a little baking, which Lucie and husband David Goldberg (also an inorganic chemist) enjoy. b

Solidify Your Legacy Today With a Gift That Keeps on Giving More than half of School of Pharmacy students rely on scholarships, fellowships, and financial aid to make their dream of becoming a pharmacist or researcher a reality.

The financial support of scholarships and fellowships makes it possible for students like myself to attend conferences and further develop professionally. I am a recipient of the Donald O. Fedder Memorial Fellowship, which supports the training and development of graduate students whose work focuses on social justice, pharmacy advocacy, and public health. This fellowship allowed me to present my work at the American Public Health Association Annual Meeting. Contributions from alumni and donors are positively impacting students, and we greatly appreciate the support. When I am a graduate of the School of Pharmacy, I look forward to partnering with other alumni and donors in supporting the future generation of pharmacy leaders.

­­­— Jacquelyn McRae, PharmD, MS PhD student in the Department of Pharmaceutical Health Services Research

Recipient of the Donald O. Fedder Memorial Fellowship

Please contact Ken Boyden, JD, EdD, associate dean for development and alumni affairs, at kboyden@rx.umaryland.edu or 410-706-3816 to create an endowed scholarship to benefit the next generation of pharmacists and researchers.

STUDENT NEWS

Laurels Meghna Bhatt, a first-year student pharmacist, and Allison Dunn, a secondyear student pharmacist, have been named 2019 University of Maryland Scholars. Amy Defnet and Dante Johnson, both graduate students in the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences (PSC), received Best Poster Awards at the University of Maryland, Baltimore’s 41st Annual Graduate Research Conference. Anna Dizik, Xinyi Huang, and Bhavna Jois, all third-year student pharmacists, placed fourth out of 82 teams in the American College of Clinical Pharmacy’s Clinical Research Challenge. Aakash Gandhi, a graduate student in the Department of Pharmaceutical Health Services Research (PHSR), has been elected chair of the International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research’s (ISPOR) Student Network for the 2019-2020 academic year.

The School of Pharmacy’s student chapter of ISPOR received second place in the organization’s Outstanding Student Chapter competition.

the In Vivo Performance of Enteric-coated ABAB Antibody Producing Saccharomyces Boulardi Oral Dosage Form for the Treatment of Clostridiu.”

Chad Johnson, a graduate student in PSC, received an American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy’s Walmart Scholars Award.

Jacquelyn McRae, PharmD, MS, a graduate student in PHSR, has been accepted into the AcademyHealth Diversity Scholars Network.

Shamir Kalaria, a student in the MS in Pharmacometrics program, received a 2019 New Investigator Award from the American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology.

Dami Onasanya, a graduate student in PHSR, has been named an inaugural member of the American Society of Pharmacovigilance’s Improving Patient Outcomes Council.

Fang-Yu Lin, a graduate student in PSC, received the American Chemical Society’s Chemical Computing Group’s Excellence Award for Graduate Students for the project “Optimization of the Drude Polarizable Protein Force Field.”

Jordan Pritts and Stephanie Shiffka, both graduate students in PSC, received predoctoral fellowships from the American Foundation for Pharmaceutical Education.

Yuwei Lu, a graduate student in PSC, received a two-year, $69,500 grant from the United States Pharmacopeial Convention for “Development of In Vitro Gut Fermentation Model to Investigate

Charles Summerlin, a fourth-year student pharmacist, received the Juan and Esperanza Luna Scholarship from the American Pharmacists Association Foundation.

In Memoriam The University of Maryland School of Pharmacy honors the lives and memories of the following alumni who passed away between July 1, 2018 and Dec. 31, 2018. We are grateful to each of these alumni for the lasting impact they made on the School community and the advances they achieved in pharmacy education, research, or practice. Lawrence Y. Block, BSP ’61 Allen G. Brickman, BSP ’52 James A. Cavoures, BSP ’65 Harold L. Cooper, BSP ’58 John J. Engberg, BSP ’55 Bernard A. Fischer III, BSP ’67 Salvatore J. Greco, PhD ’49 Colen C. Heinritz, BSP ’58

22

c a psu l e

www.pharmacy.umaryland.edu

Robert R. Imbierowicz Sr., BSP ’55 Morton D. Kramer, BSP ’50 Herbert Kwash, BSP ’56 Louis Lindenbaum, BSP ’50 Walter F. Oster, BSP ’56 Joseph J. Piala, PhD ’51 Israel M. Ruddie, BSP ’44 Lionel M. Shapiro, BSP ’52

David L. Wessel, BSP ’73 David Wolfson, BSP ’65 If you would like to make a memorial gift, please use the enclosed giving envelope or call 410-706-5893.

FDA Visit The student chapter of the Industry Pharmacists Organization (IPhO) visited the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in March. The day consisted of presentations, networking, discussions, and a tour of the FDA’s campus in Silver Spring, Md. IPhO provides UMSOP students with numerous opportunities throughout the academic year to learn about careers in industry. b

From left: John Quinn, RPh; Sam Khosraviani, Class of 2020; Minh Ta and Karen Nguyen of the Class of 2022; Kelsie Kaier, Class of 2021; Pavan Patel, Breah Johnson, Paulina Kepczynska, and Zaid Rahman, all of the Class of 2022; Michelle Nguyen, Class of 2021; Andrew Sybing, Class of 2022; Anna Dizik, Class of 2021; Megidelawit Yirefu and Elizabeth (Dami) Paul of the Class of 2022; Caroline Russell and Griffin Sauvageau of the Class of 2021; Hanna Lefebo, Class of 2022; Yolanda Peprah, Class of 2020; Adaeze Amaefule, Class of 2022; and Puri Subramanium, PharmD.

On the Road to Recovery

From left: Chrysalis House client; Bonnie Gomeringer; Chrysalis House client; Kira Aldrich, Class of 2020; and Christopher McCabe.

The College of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacists welcomed speakers in March from Chrysalis House of Baltimore, a treatment center for women with substance use and mental health disorders that provides childcare during the mother’s recovery. Christopher McCabe, MBA, executive director of Chrysalis House, provided an overview of Medication Assisted Therapy, while nurse Bonnie Gomeringer, LPN, discussed her work with clients on their recovery and medical care. Two Chrysalis House clients shared their stories and success. b

Some of the newly inducted members of the Rho Chi Society.

Rho Chi Induction In April, the Rho Chi Society, the academic honor society in pharmacy, held its annual induction ceremony at the Belvedere Hotel to welcome 49 new members from the PharmD and graduate programs, and faculty members who were inducted this academic year. b

SUMM E R 2 0 1 9

23

STUDENT NEWS

Immunization Refresher The American Pharmacists Association-Academy of Student Pharmacists’ Operation Immunization and the Rho Chi Society held an immunization refresher at the end of April led by Cherokee Layson-Wolf, PharmD ’00, CGP, BCACP, FAPhA, associate professor, Department of Pharmacy Practice and Science, and associate dean of student affairs, to help prepare third-year students for their upcoming fourth-year rotations. b

From left: Layson-Wolf and Rochelle Longkeng and Hilary Unaegbu, both of the Class of 2020.

Phi Delta Chi The brothers of Phi Delta Chi (PDC) have participated in community outreach all year, at organizations like the Hope Lodge, Paul’s Place, and the Ronald McDonald House. In March, a few PDC brothers volunteered at Paul’s Place, where they provided residents of the Pigtown neighborhood in Baltimore with clothing, food, and company, while helping them navigate the various programs that the facility has to offer. b

From left: Suchi Shah, Daniel Cericola, Michael Kinney, Daniel Lewis, and Bhavna Jois, all of the Class of 2021.

Christian Thing to Do Christian Pharmacists Fellowship International donated pajamas, gift cards, and coloring cards to critically ill children in Baltimore during the Christmas season. Donations were made through the Casey Cares Foundation.b

From left: Adedolapo Adesiyakan, Class of 2020; Nadia Adjin-Tettey, Class of 2021; and Precious Ohagwu and Samuel Anti, of the Class of 2020.

24

ca apsu psullee c

www.pharmacy.umaryland.edu www.pharmacy.umaryland.edu

Vaccines for Children At the annual University of Maryland, Baltimore Employee Wellness Fair in March, the Pediatric Pharmacy Advocacy Group presented a poster on vaccines for children. Students answered questions employees had about the immunization schedule or a specific vaccine, and communicated the importance of childhood vaccinations. b

Jiye Lee (left) and Yujin Noh, both of the Class of 2020

Kappa Psi Spelling Bee Kappa Psi’s 15th Annual Spelling Bee, an event in which contestants are asked to spell selected medication names with varying level of difficulty, was held successfully by newly initiated brothers. Games and raffles entertained those at the event, and proceeds went to Reach Out and Read, a national community of physicians and nurse practitioners who incorporate books into pediatric care and encourage early childhood literacy. b Back row, from left: Claire Lin, Richard Ching, Jamie Hwang, Daniel Trisno, Joshua Whittington, and Qiwei Lin, all of the Class of 2022 Middle row, from left: Amelia Ekert, Hannah Kim, Eun Bi Kim, Minh Ta, all of the Class of 2022; Lily Lin, Class of 2021, and Sydney Yuen, Class of 2022 Front row, from left: Paulina Kepczynska, Esther Kim, Lu Chen, Kristi Adachi, and Amanda Dinh, all of the Class of 2022

ASCP Annual Meeting Students attended the 2018 American Society of Consultant Pharmacists (ASCP) Annual Meeting, held in November at the National Harbor in Maryland. Students networked and presented a poster at the meeting. b Back row, from left: Jennifer Vuong and Clara Kang, both of the Class of 2021; Taylor Kaminsky, Class of 2020; Rachyl Fornaro, Class of 2019; Grace Kim, Class of 2021; Joshua Chou, PharmD ’17, geriatric pharmacotherapy fellow in the School’s Peter Lamy Center on Drug Therapy and Aging; Henry Tran, Class of 2020; and Nicole Brandt, PharmD ’97, MBA, BCPP, CGP, FASCP, professor of pharmacy practice and science and executive director of the Lamy Center. Bottom row, from left: Seohwee Ahn, Class of 2020; Nameeta Mota, Class of 2019; Catherine Kim and Danielle Kalinousky, both of the Class of 2022; and Monica Tong, PharmD, geriatric pharmacy resident. SUMM E R 2 0 1 9

25

PRECEPTOR PROFILE

Matching Students With Experiences BY LESLIE FELDMAN

Kristen Fink

As the academic affairs coordinator for Kaiser Permanente, Kristen Fink, PharmD, BCPS, CDE, considers it her responsibility to mentor pharmacy students so they become the best in their field and gain exposure to a variety of opportunities available in their profession. As a preceptor for the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy, she has mentored dozens of students in ambulatory care, and now in her Academic Affairs/Residency/Leadership rotation. “Since 2014, my role has been to coordinate with the School of Pharmacy and students to arrange for learning experiences within Kaiser, matching pharmacy students with experiences that will help them realize their future career goals,” says Fink, who is also chair of the Past-President’s Council of the Maryland Pharmacists Association. “Since my rotation focuses on leadership and administration, we emphasize high-quality health care, pharmacy knowledge and skills, as well as general selfdevelopment,” she continues. “We stress giving back to the pharmacy profession through organizational involvement, helping those less fortunate through community service, developing personal skills in presentation delivery and project management, as well as helping students define what they really want to do in their pharmacy career.” Jennifer Shim, PharmD ‘19, recalls Fink as an amazing preceptor. “Her rotation was very different in that it did not involve a lot of clinical practice. It was one of my first nontraditional pharmacy APPE rotations and it took some time to adjust, but Dr. Fink made the transition a very easy one. “Her rotation stood out to me because it was very different than the others — in a positive way. I got a behind-the-scenes look at what it takes to build a highly reputable clinical track and residency. Additionally, she was very caring of other Kaiser students as well. If there were any issues, I know of many students who did not hesitate to contact Dr. Fink because they

26

c a psu l e

www.pharmacy.umaryland.edu

trusted her enough to discuss the issues with her.” Preceptors play a vital role in a student’s career. Many students begin Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience (APPE) rotations in their fourth year not knowing which area of pharmacy they ultimately want to practice. APPEs are the perfect way to discover one’s interests, gain experience, and network with practicing pharmacists. “I can honestly say that I would have never had an administrative pharmacy experience if it was not for her rotation,” Shim says. “I truly appreciate the effort that she puts into not just her students, but all students involved with the Kaiser rotations.” Agnes Ann Feemster, PharmD, assistant dean of experiential learning and an assistant professor in the Department of Pharmacy Practice and Science at the School, adds that “preceptors like Dr. Fink provide exposure to the ‘real world’ of pharmacy and serve as mentors, teachers, and motivators. They are key to the transfer of didactic knowledge into practice, helping students apply their classroom learning to patient care.” Fink adds that students learn so much during the didactic years at school, and the icing on top is that final year of handson experience that helps to translate all the book knowledge into real-life practice. “Having preceptors share the experiences, wisdom, and perspective that we have gathered over years of practice facilitates students becoming exceptional pharmacists and our profession continuing to propel forward and take on new and exciting challenges to contribute to the best patient care we can imagine,” she says. “I feel it is a professional responsibility to ensure that all new graduates are prepared as much as possible. It also helps keep us as experienced practitioners at the top of our game and ensures that we are continually learning.” b

POSTDOCTORAL PROFILE

Explorer Discovers Mettle for Metals BY RANDOLPH FILLMORE Nuvjeevan “Ronny” Dosanjh

Born, raised, and educated in the United Kingdom, Nuvjeevan “Ronny” Dosanjh saw an opportunity to travel and learn just after he received his PhD in biochemistry in 2005 from the University of Leicester, a public research university 89 miles northwest of London. “After I received my PhD, I was exploring options in the U.S.,” recalls Dosanjh. “It looked like a good time to travel, and perhaps gain some valuable work experience in the U.S.” This “exploration” led him to the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy’s Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences (PSC) and to the lab of Sarah Michel, PhD, an inorganic chemist and PSC professor specializing in investigating how metals in the body, especially iron and zinc, interact with human biology, metabolism, and disease. Dosanjh, who was Michel’s first postdoctoral fellow since she arrived at the School in 2004, worked in the Michel lab from 2005 to 2008. “I quickly discovered the wealth of protein-metal interactions in cells and how those interactions affect proteins and metabolism,” Dosanjh recalls. “The work in Dr. Michel’s lab was eye-opening. I learned a lot during my postdoc fellowship at the School of Pharmacy. It was a good fit.” “He was more than a good fit,” says Michel. “Ronny had experience studying zinc proteins and had significant biochemistry experience, especially in protein expression and purification, but he wanted to expand his acumen to other metalloproteins. Ronny was an excellent mentor and set the bar very high for meticulous lab work,” recalls Michel. “He passed this quality on to others in the lab.” Dosanjh’s postdoctoral research project focused on the protein in the bacteria Helicobacter pylori, which causes stomach ulcers. The bacteria’s survival requires access to nickel. “Ronny found a way to over-express and purify the protein in E. coli,” recalls Michel, who is also the School’s associate dean for graduate programs. “Then he worked out a clever assay to

show how this protein targeted DNA to regulate nickel. That protein is now a drug target for new anti-H. pylori agents. His work set the stage for future drug discovery.” After working for a malaria vaccine company, Sanaria, in Rockville, Md., Dosanjh began working with Becton-Dickinson (BD) Biosciences, Advanced Bioprocesses in Cockeysville, Md. His work at BD has included designing processes for formulating chemically defined cell culture media and optimizing cell culture media for industry. “We support customer cell culture needs,” Dosanjh explains. “Currently, I focus on providing solutions to the cell culture needs of our biopharmaceutical customers. Medicine is moving toward cell-based and gene therapies, and so we are geared toward implementing the next generation of cell culture products to meet this need.” From 2016 to 2018, Dosanjh broadened his industrial experience by accepting a position with Bayer in Berkeley, Calif., supporting commercial manufacturing of a hemophilia biotherapeutic. “This was an excellent opportunity to gain insight and contribute to the process of making a protein therapeutic from cell culture all the way to the final drug product,” he says. Currently a protein biochemist with Thermo Fisher Scientific in Sparks, Md., Dosanjh has nearly a decade of industry research and process experience with scientific and technical expertise in cell culture and biotherapeutic manufacturing. “I work with a cross-functional team in multiple areas, including the design of new cell culture media as well as providing analytical solutions for the cell culture media industry,” he explains. “We also provide technical solutions to meet desired, critical quality attributes for protein therapeutics.” An avid runner, Dosanjh has competed in half marathons and he also likes keeping track of the English Premier Football League and his beloved Liverpool team. “They are having a great season. I hope they go on to win the Champions League.” b

SUMMEER R 22001199 SUMM

27 27

RxIntersect

FACILITATING THE CONNECTIONS NEEDED TO SUCCEED

We invite you to join RxIntersect, a new networking platform that ensures every University of Maryland School of Pharmacy student and alumnus has the professional connections needed to succeed. Through RXIntersect, you can virtually connect and network with more than 6,000 alumni, students, and faculty from the School of Pharmacy. It’s a convenient and efficient way to: } Share experiences } Exchange career advice } Build professional networks based on interests and career tracks

Visit rxintersect.umaryland.edu to participate. Click “Join the Community” to register with either your LinkedIn account or an email address. 28

c a psu l e

www.pharmacy.umaryland.edu

DONORS PROFILE

Saying Thanks For Careers, Lives BY LESLIE FELDMAN

Tecoya and Karriem Farrakhan

The University of Maryland School of Pharmacy is literally where everything started for Tecoya (PharmD ’02, MBA) and Karriem Farrakhan (PharmD ’03, MBA). They met in the fall of 1998 at the School, where they became fast friends. The rest, as they say, is history. Karriem accepted a contractual position as a clinical manager with Xerox Government Healthcare Solutions in 2006 and the next year, Tecoya and Karriem launched Primo Pharmacy Services, LLC, a pharmacy staffing company. In 2015, the couple launched Wellness to a T, LLC, a health and wellness transformation advisory and education company. “As a result of our relationship with the School, we were given the opportunity to grow within our pharmacy careers in a very unique way,” explains Tecoya. “While both of us started in retail/community pharmacy, we pursued unique opportunities within the profession by leveraging the personal relationships we’d built over the years with fellow alumni. If not for our University of Maryland School of Pharmacy experiences, we would not be the pharmacists and entrepreneurs we are today.” To say thank you, the Farrakhans became members of the David Stewart Associates, a leadership giving society for those who make annual gifts to the School of $1,000 or more. As a Meyerhoff Scholar at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County many years ago, Karriem explains that giving back was emphasized. As soon as they were able, it was only natural that they do their part to help the institution that launched their pharmacy careers. “Giving back not only involves monetary gifts, but, just as importantly, offering your time and talents to help others. I thoroughly enjoyed spending several years as a preceptor for the School.” While at pharmacy school, the couple decided to pursue a dual PharmD/MBA through the University of Baltimore Merrick School of Business to differentiate themselves in the job market. “We’ve been able to use our degrees with confidence, which has led to the creation of several businesses

and partnerships, which we wouldn’t have had the opportunity to engage in without being students and alumni of this amazing school,” adds Tecoya. When chatting with undergraduate students considering pharmacy as a career, Tecoya encourages them to “bet on themselves” and to pursue a graduate degree with an entrepreneurial mindset. “When I graduated from the School in 2002, the job market was wide open. There was a shortage of pharmacists, which allowed us to negotiate our salaries and evaluate our options. These days, our fellow colleagues, in most cases, do not have such allowances,” she says. “Encouraging today’s students to begin thinking about creating their own opportunities has become a very important mantra of mine.” Karriem adds that being one of the top pharmacy programs in the country, the School has industry-leading, state-of-the-art facilities, and accomplished and acclaimed faculty, as well as the resources to accommodate any career path a student chooses. “The School has developed many successful pharmapreneurs, researchers, and clinicians, providing a vast network of alumni available and willing to give back.” Ken Boyden, JD, EdD, the School’s associate dean for development and alumni affairs, says the Farrakhans illustrate the value of annual philanthropic support from the School’s proud, grateful graduates. “As examples of our younger generation of alumni, they help ensure the forward-thinking advances of the School. The Farrakhans are wonderful models of pharmapreneurs. The University of Maryland School of Pharmacy is proud to count Karriem and Tecoya as graduates, and looks forward to following their continued success.” The Farrakhans believe their road from school to professional careers has been amazing. “It’s truly unique to be able to give back to the School that ultimately brought us together and prepped us for the wonderful business opportunities we have been able to leverage during our careers,” Karriem says. b

SUMM E R 2 0 1 9

29

ALUMNI PROFILE

Alum Goes West, Meets Challenges in Work, Play BY ELIZABETH HEUBECK

Reisel Berger

On the first day of her fourth-year clinical rotation at Sheppard Pratt Health System, Reisel Berger, PharmD ’11, was trekking up the long, leg-burning hill of Charles Street when her bicycle got a flat tire. Already without her broken-down car, Berger persevered, fixing the flat, and using the bike for the six-week rotation that exposed her to an outpatient ambulatory setting and solidified her interest in patient care. That anecdote comes as no surprise to her friend and former School of Pharmacy (SOP) classmate, Will Albanese, PharmD ’11, a clinical pharmacist at Beebe Medical Center in Lewes, Del. He describes Berger as “driven” and “unafraid of anything” — in addition to being one of the top academic students in their graduating class. Berger, says Albanese, never backed down from a challenge, whether it was a pushup contest or providing the correct response in the classroom. It’s fitting that Berger, a Philadelphia native, would find her way to the West Coast after graduation. Before securing a job, she completed two residencies — in ambulatory care at the San Francisco VA Medical Center and psychiatric pharmacy at the VA San Diego Healthcare System. Afterward, Berger put down roots in San Francisco, where she’s embraced both the beautiful city’s outdoor opportunities and a challenging career as a clinical pharmacist with the San Francisco Department of Public Health (DPH). Berger points to an experience in pharmacy school as influencing her career decision. During an interdisciplinary elective on HIV, a Baltimore City Health Department representative spoke about the city’s needle exchange program, after which Berger volunteered at several needle exchange vans in Baltimore. “I loved being on the front lines and hearing people’s stories,” says Berger, who saw the position with San Francisco’s DPH as a way to build on the work she did with the 30

c a psu l e

www.pharmacy.umaryland.edu

needle exchange program. A course in motivational interviewing taught by former SOP professor Anthony Tomasello, PharmD, exposed Berger to a technique she regularly incorporates into her practice today. “It motivated me to learn about the story of a patient rather than looking at the patient as a series of illnesses,” Berger says. That comes in handy as she interacts with various patient populations in her role. At an outpatient mental health clinic, she conducts adult patient care in a capacity she describes as an extension of a psychiatrist. “We see patients with bipolar disorder, depression, trauma, schizophrenia, developmental disabilities,” Berger says of this population, many of whom also suffer from substance abuse, homelessness, and challenges related to immigration. She also serves as the primary child and adolescent psychiatry pharmacist for the San Francisco County Juvenile Justice System, and, separately, analyzes the dispensing of psychotropic medications to youth in California’s foster care system. At yet another site, Berger provides pharmacy services to clients with opioid use disorder. Some days, Berger says, she feels as though she’s seeing one sad case after another. “It can really affect you,” she observes. But she finds positive ways to de-stress. Berger counts supportive colleagues and energizing walks during lunch breaks as methods that improve her mood as she faces a daunting caseload. And, when not at work, the avid runner and competitive marathoner enjoys exploring by foot the attractive parks and trails of San Francisco and the surrounding area. In her spare time, the energetic young professional also spends time inspiring tomorrow’s pharmacists. “I do some precepting and teaching at the University of California, San Francisco, guiding the next generation of students,” Berger says. “It’s a way for me to still be involved in pharmacy school.” b

Kelcymarie Bye, PharmD ’16 President Kristine Parbuoni, PharmD ’05 President-elect Robyn Firmin, PharmD ’17 Past president Geoff Heinzl, PhD ’16 Secretary David Ngo, PharmD ’13 Treasurer Michael Beatrice, PhD ’01 Capt. James Bresette, PharmD ’97 Denise Fu, PharmD ’10 C. Lawrence Hogue, BSP ’69 Aicha Moutanni, MS ’17 Magaly Rodriguez de Bittner, PharmD ’83 Marci Straus, PharmD ’12

ALUMNI NEWS

Alumni Association Executive Committee 2019-2020

A Message from Alumni Affairs Dear alumni, It’s hard to believe that another school year has come and gone. I am so pleased to welcome the Class of 2019 — PharmD, PhD, and MS graduates — into our wonderful community of alumni. Our graduates have worked tremendously hard to prepare themselves for life outside of the School of Pharmacy. As I watched another class graduate, it is not lost on me how our students reached that goal. Our graduates earned their degrees not by just showing up to class and studying hard, but with the support of their community — one composed of close friends and family, faculty members and mentors, as well as alumni. A great many of you support the Greer Griffith School and our students through your philanthropic contributions as well as through time spent as mentors and preceptors. So in essence, you helped this group of most recent graduates along their journey, too. As these new members join our alumni community, I ask that we all look at how we can create a supportive community for them and for each other. We are all strengthened when we help others. To strengthen our community, I ask that you, when able, attend our in-person and online networking events to catch up with each other and reconnect with the School. Consider joining our recently launched online networking platform, RxIntersect (see page 28), which aims to connect students and alumni through one-on-one chats, group discussions, and other networking opportunities. We know how important it is for our alumni to have access to new, innovative tools to reconnect and network with former classmates. Students will be invited to join the platform in fall 2019. As everyone works to complete their profiles on the site, RxIntersect will begin to suggest connections based on common interests and areas of expertise to better foster networking/mentorship opportunities for students and alumni alike, including connecting prospective and current students with alumni and student ambassadors, job shadowing, mock interviews, and resume reviews. Much of the success of RxIntersect depends on as many people as possible being involved and interacting on the platform. We at the School are here to support our alumni and help each of you make new and strengthen existing connections. I greatly value the feedback and insights that I receive in my daily conversations with alumni and always welcome constructive feedback. If you would like to meet for coffee or lunch or simply share some feedback, please email me at ggriffith@ rx.umaryland.edu or call me at 410-706-5893. I look forward to connecting with each of you!

Gratefully, Greer Griffith, MS Director of Alumni Relations and Annual Giving Office of Development and Alumni Affairs SUMM E R 2 0 1 9

31

ALUMNI NEWS

Class Notes 1963

1973

2014

In February, Yale H. Caplan, BSP, PhD ’68, received the prestigious Gradwohl Medallion from the American Academy of Forensic Sciences (AAFS) at its 71st Annual Scientific Meeting in Baltimore. Caplan joins an elite group of only 15 academy members who have received this honor since its establishment in 1974. The award is given to an AAFS fellow who has attained distinction for exceptional contributions to the field of forensic sciences, including outstanding service to the AAFS and outstanding service in a public position.

Ellen H. Yankellow, BSP, PharmD ’96, president and CEO of Correct Rx Pharmacy Services Inc., was reappointed to a second term on the Maryland Board of Pharmacy.

Stephen Wienner, BSP, received the MPhA’s 2019 Seidman Distinguished Achievement Award.

Nkem Nonyel, PharmD, earned a Master of Public Health degree from the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy in 2017. She is an assistant professor of pharmacy practice at the University of Maryland, Eastern Shore School of Pharmacy. She also serves as director of the school’s student organization, and is faculty advisor to the school’s chapters of the Student National Pharmaceutical Association and the American College of Clinical Pharmacy. Nonyel is a board-certified pharmacotherapy specialist, is Zone 1 director for the National Pharmaceutical Association, and is president of the Maryland Pharmaceutical Society.

1992

2015

Lynette Bradley-Baker, BSP, PhD ’99, received the MPhA’s Mentor Award.

Brittany Palasik, PharmD, was named Professor of the Year by the Class of 2020 at the University of North Texas Health Science Center.

1969 John Motsko, BSP, is a certified diabetes educator at Apple Drugs Diabetes Center/Core Clinical Care, LLC, in Salisbury, Md. Since retiring from a 36-year career with Eli Lilly and Co., Motsko obtained certification in the field of diabetes care and started an American Association of Diabetes Educators-accredited center with the support of his friend Jeffrey Sherr, BSP ’78. The center has been providing diabetes education and services to the community for more than 10 years. John and his wife, Janine, have two adult children and four grandsons and enjoy living on the Nanticoke River, about 18 miles from Salisbury.

1984 Matthew Shimoda, PharmD, received the Maryland Pharmacists Association’s (MPhA) 2019 Bowl of Hygeia Award.

1991

2006 Brian Hose, PharmD, received the MPhA’s Pharmacist Advocate Award.

2016

2012

Dianna Campbell, PharmD, is a community pharmacist at Walgreens in Oklahoma.

Marci Strauss, PharmD, has been named to the MPhA’s Board of Trustees.

Everyone wants to know what you’ve been doing since graduation. Visit the Class Notes section of the School of Pharmacy website to: tell us about your career share some details about your passion outside the profession/volunteer activities brag about your kids, spouse, or other family members send a message to your classmates The Class Notes submission form can be found at www.pharmacy.umaryland.edu/alumni/resources/class-notes/.

32

c a psu l e

www.pharmacy.umaryland.edu

Q&A with Alumni Association Outgoing Secretary Jacinda Tran, PharmD ’14 Jacinda Tran

Where are you from?

What inspired you on this career path?

I grew up in Irvine, Calif., and completed my undergraduate degree at the University of California, Los Angeles.

The pharmacoepidemiology and pharmacoeconomic courses at the School of Pharmacy first made me realize that I could use my pharmacy knowledge and skills to improve patient care on a population level. As a student, I had the opportunity to become involved in research with Ebere Onukwugha, PhD, MSc, associate professor in the Department of Pharmaceutical Health Services Research (PHSR), and I continued to work in PHSR after graduation, where my passion for health services research truly blossomed.

Why did you choose the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy? I chose to attend the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy for its strong reputation, well-balanced curriculum, and the unique opportunities available to students. In addition to providing a strong clinical foundation, the PharmD curriculum and the numerous student organizations encourage students to explore less traditional career paths within the field of pharmacy. The dual-degree programs also allow students to diversify their training and education. Lastly, the School’s proximity to and relationships with federal agencies and national health organizations provide students with unique rotation, internship, and networking opportunities.

Why are you involved with the School’s Alumni Association? I am involved with the Alumni Association because the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy helped shape my career and the person I am today. I view the Alumni Association not only as an opportunity to give back, but also as a way to stay connected to our strong Maryland pharmacy network.

Where do you work and what do you do there? I currently work in the pharmaceutical health services practice area at IMPAQ International, where I leverage my pharmacy and research background to provide clinical, analytical, and technical support for a wide range of research, evaluation, and implementation projects.

What advice do you have for your fellow alumni regarding staying connected to the School? I think the easiest way to stay connected is to read the emails sent out by the School and Alumni Association. I also encourage alumni to attend the Alumni Association meetings and events as well as the School receptions at national pharmacy conferences. Recently, I have been exploring the RxIntersect online networking platform offered by the School. It’s a great way to easily connect with fellow alumni and stay plugged in to the School of Pharmacy community.

SUMM E R 2 0 1 9

33

ALUMNI NEWS

Donors, Recipients Exchange Greetings The School of Pharmacy hosted its annual reception for scholarship donors and recipients on April 11. The event provides a forum for scholarship donors to meet the students who have benefited from their generosity and offered students an opportunity to express their gratitude to the donors. More than 70 people attended. b

David Stewart Associates Society Reception and Key to Pharmacy Hall On April 16, the School of Pharmacy hosted its annual David Stewart Associates Society reception in the Balch Gallery in Pharmacy Hall. Members of this prestigious group make an annual gift of $1,000 or more to the School. More than 50 donors and friends attended this year’s reception. For the first time in the School’s history, the Key to Pharmacy Hall was presented to two deserving recipients: Frances Spaven, PhD ’86, sole proprietor of FS BizWorks, and Lynette Bradley-Baker, PhD ’99, BSP ’92, senior vice president of public affairs and engagement for the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy. b

Arthur Riley, MS ’72, BSP ’70, (left) and Mark Levi, BSP ’70

From left, Leah Sera, PharmD ’10, assistant professor of pharmacy practice and science; Natalie D. Eddington, PhD ’89, dean and professor; and Tecoya Farrakhan, PharmD ’02.

Gwynne L. Horwits, MD, husband Leonard Horwits, BSP ’60, and Ken Boyden, JD, EdD, associate dean of development and alumni affairs.

34

c a psu l e

www.pharmacy.umaryland.edu

From left, Will Baker, Lynette Bradley-Baker, and Troy Baker.

From left, Craig Etheridge; Julia Slejko, PhD, assistant professor of pharmaceutical health services research; Jacqueline McRae, PHSR graduate student; and Lafon Jones, PharmD Class of 2020.

Federal Government Employee Alumni Happy Hour On April 17, alumni gathered at Mon Ami Gabi in Bethesda, Md., for a federal government employee alumni happy hour. More than 30 alumni caught up with friends and former faculty members and networked with colleagues. b

Christopher St. Clair, PharmD ’16; Heather Boyce, PhD ’17; Deborah Wang, PharmD ’12; and Michelle Lo, PharmD ’12.

Back row from left: Colleen Day, PhD and MS program manager; Tao Liu, PhD ’17; Anand Balakrishnan, PhD ’05; James Polli, PhD, professor of pharmaceutical sciences (PSC); Paul Shapiro, PhD, professor and chair of PSC; Deborah Wang, PharmD ’12; Heather Boyce, PhD ’17; Christopher St. Clair, PharmD ’16. Front row: Kristina San Juan, PhD and MS program coordinator; Sarah Michel, PhD, professor in PSC; Tatiana Claro da Silva, PhD ’11; Natalie D. Eddington, PhD ’89, dean and professor; Michelle Lo, PharmD ’12; Soo Hyeon Shin, PhD ’18; and Priyanka Gosh, PhD.

Honorees Abound at Alumni Awards Luncheon On May 17, the School’s Alumni Association hosted a luncheon to honor recent recipients of the Evander Frank Kelly Honored Alumnus and the B. Olive Cole Honorary Alumnus Awards. These prestigious awards are presented to those alumni who have demonstrated exceptional professional and personal commitment to the pharmacy profession and the School. Award recipients emulate the characteristics of the highest standards of the profession. b The following alumni received the Evander Frank Kelly Honored Alumnus Award: • 2016-2017 - Wendy Klein-Schwartz, PharmD ’77 • 2017-2018 – Lisa Booze, BSP ’79, PharmD ’00 • 2018-2019 – Neil Leikach, BSP ’92

The following individuals received the B. Olive Cole Honorary Alumnus Award: • 2016-2017 – Dwayne Weaver, BSP • 2017-2018 – Ardeen Leake • 2018-2019 – Christine Lee-Wilson, PharmD

Back row from left: Raymond Love, PharmD ’77, professor of pharmacy practice and science (PPS); Magaly Rodriguez de Bittner, PharmD ’83, professor in PPS and associate dean for clinical services and practice transformation; Steve Wienner, BSP ’91; David Booze, BSP ’81; Marci Strauss, PharmD ’12; Kelcymarie Bye, PharmD ’16; Brian Hose, PharmD ’06; Christopher Booze, PharmD ’13; Cynthia Boyle, PharmD ’96, professor in PPS; and Natalie D. Eddington, PhD ’89, dean and professor. Front row from left, Jia Bei Wang, PhD ’92, professor of pharmaceutical sciences; Ardeen Leake; Christine Lee-Wilson, PharmD; Dixie Leikach, BSP ’92 (accepting on behalf of her husband, Neil); Lisa Booze, PharmD ’00, BSP ’79; Robyn Firmin, PharmD ’17; Denise Fu, PharmD ’10; and Vicky Dang, PharmD ’12. SUMM E R 2 0 1 9

35

ALUMNI NEWS

Saluting the Class of 2019 The School of Pharmacy was proud to host a Graduation Celebration on May 19 for our PharmD, PhD, and MS classes of 2019. More than 100 alumni, faculty, staff, and graduating students gathered to celebrate. b

Back row from left, Benignus Duru, Cori Gray, Nam Nguyen, Shelby Warring, Laetitia N’Dri, and Dominick Ruggiero, all PharmD ’19. Front row, Julia Slejko, PhD, assistant professor of pharmaceutical health services research; Michelle Kim, PharmD ’19; and James Trovato, PharmD, associate professor of pharmacy practice and science (PPS).

Natalie D. Eddington, PhD ’89, dean and professor (center) with PharmD ’19 grads, from left, Sanchari Ghosh; Mary Pothen, Sierra Simpkins, and June Trinos.

From left, Paul Algire, PharmD ’19; Andrew Wherley, PharmD ’19; James Trovato, PharmD, associate professor in PPS; and Daniel Mansour, PharmD, interprofessional clinical coordinator for the Lamy Center on Drug Therapy and Aging.

From left, Rachel Zamora, PharmD ’19; Sandeep Devabhakthuni, PharmD, associate professor in PPS; Emily Witcraft, PharmD ’19; Kathleen “Katy” Pincus, PharmD ’09, assistant professor in PPS; and Leigh Cervino, PharmD ’19.

36

c a psu l e

www.pharmacy.umaryland.edu

MESSAGE FROM DEVELOPMENT

Stock Talk “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.” — Pablo Picasso

Like many adults, University of Maryland School of Pharmacy graduate Mr. Wiseman owns stock. In addition to his professionally managed retirement accounts, he has a separate investment account at a discount brokerage firm. This account includes a variety of mutual funds and individual stocks. Periodically, Mr. Wiseman reviews his portfolio to see which securities are increasing in value and which ones are declining. Some of his holdings have Ken Boyden appreciated nicely over the years. Being charitably minded toward his alma mater, Mr. Wiseman occasionally will arrange to transfer some of his more highly appreciated stocks to the School of Pharmacy. The University of Maryland Baltimore (UMB) Foundation, Inc. then liquidates the stock and uses the cash for the School of Pharmacy’s tax-exempt purposes. Because the School is a qualified charity, it is not required to pay capital gains tax on the sale of the appreciated stock. Were Mr. Wiseman to sell the stock and give the School of Pharmacy the cash, he would incur capital gains tax on the amount of appreciation, and thus reduce the cash value of the stock. His gift actually would cost him more than the value of his cash gift. Except when a stock has depreciated, it is usually prudent to give the stock to the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy and let us sell it. In making his stock gift to the School, Mr. Wiseman receives an income tax charitable deduction for the full value of his gift, which he can apply against a percentage of his adjusted gross income. Mr. Wiseman sells some additional shares of the same stock he gave to the School, a stock he believes will continue to appreciate over time. While he incurs capital gains tax on this transaction, he offsets this tax with the income tax charitable deduction he obtained from the gift of the earlier shares. He then turns around and repurchases the stock he just sold obtaining a new, and higher, cost basis. Thus, when he wants to sell the stock later after it has further appreciated, he will not have as much capital gains tax to pay. Mr. Wiseman’s creative gift planning not only helps the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy, it provides significant tax benefits to him, as well. Despite how complicated Mr. Wiseman’s gift giving may seem, giving shares of stock to the School is really quite easy — with the proper guidance. It can be done with a letter to your brokerage firm, instructing it to transfer or “journal” a particular number of shares of publicly traded stock to the School of Pharmacy’s account with the UMB Foundation. If we do not have an account at your brokerage house, we can quickly establish one temporarily to receive and sell the stock. For more information about making charitable gifts with stock, please feel free to call me at 410-706-4415, or email me at kboyden@rx.umaryland.edu. Thank you for your considered support.

Ken Boyden, JD, EdD Associate Dean Office of Development and Alumni Affairs

Nonprofit Organization U.S. Postage

PAID

Permit No. 4695

Baltimore, Maryland

20 N. Pine Street Baltimore, MD 21201-1180

Congratulations

TO ALL THE GRADUATES OF THE SCHOOL OF PHARMACY’S PHARMD, PHD, AND MS CLASSES OF 2019!

MAY 16-17, 2019

Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.